Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Go Green!



I'm not much for being a greenie, in fact, those that know me, know that I am probably the opposite. However, today I have been thinking a lot about what chemicals are safe. I like cleaning with bleach, because everything smells clean to me. I wonder, is that just because I was trained that way? Smell of bleach=CLEAN! Nevertheless, bleach makes me sick and gives me headaches when I am in the bathroom using it. That can't be good. Now, I'm not knocking it, because I use it, and will probably use it sometimes forever, but, I'm going to try to find other alternatives. Next, is Bryson. Now that he is more mobile and crawling around (only backwards, but still), I worry about him getting into the chemicals. I try not to clean when he is around, so he doesn't breathe them in. But what if he licks the floor or chews on something that I've cleaned with chemicals? That can't be too healthy. I, shockingly, have decided that I need to make a change to environmentally safe household cleaners. I realize that this isn't going to happen overnight, but I'm going to try. For example, I cleaned the kitchen floor with vinegar and water today. I found some sites that mention using baking soda and other safe items for cleaning. Therefore, I am going to try it. I am going to use safer items to clean with. Also, I know some products are sold in stores. If you recommend any please let me know. Another thing I have heard is that environmentally safe cleaning products are more expensive. I'm going to guess that that really isn't the case, but if you know anything about this, input will be appreciated! Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Thats awesome Adree! I've been thinking about that too! Let me know if you find a good "green" cleaner that you love. :)

Anonymous said...

The first center I worked at always used Simple Green. It's supposed to be non-toxic, and I thought it always smelled really clean too.

Anonymous said...

awesome, Lisa! thanks for the info!

Kelli said...

I have some different ideas. I know that a lot of things can be cleaned just with hot water and dish soap. I know I have a card somewhere in my house that has household concoctions to clean. When you come over I'll show it to you and we can copy it over. I'll keep looking and thinking for sure though. Let me know what you figure out.

Brandon & Jacqueline said...

Hey Adree! I use Green Works for cabinets, counter tops, windows and little things. Once the bottle runs out you only have to buy the refill and mix it up with water.

Tyler and Hillary said...

Hey Adree! I have found that you can use vinegar/water to clean anything and everything, that it will kill germs and leave it pretty and shiney. You just have to get over the initial vinegar smell until it fades away. I like it because i feel safe knowing its edible too. This site has hundreds of uses- http://www.vinegartips.com/

Tyler and Hillary said...

Ok, that sounded weird. Not that I EAT it while i'm cleaning or anything, just that by breathing it while you clean you won't get chemical headaches or anything...